top of page

Asked Questions


  • What is Working at Heights training?
    Working at Heights training is a course designed to teach workers, supervisors, and employers how to work safely at heights. The course covers topics such as the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers, identifying hazards associated with working at heights, using personal fall protection equipment, and developing a rescue plan.
  • Who needs to take Working at Heights training in Ontario?
    All workers in Ontario who work at heights, including those who work on construction sites, are required to complete a CPO-approved Working at Heights training program. Employers must ensure that their workers complete the training before they begin work at heights.
  • How long is the Working at Heights training course in Ontario?
    The Working at Heights training course in Ontario is 8 hours long. The course is divided into a theory component, which is completed in the classroom, and a practical component, which involves hands-on training using the equipment that the workers will be using when they work at heights. If a student has completed this training before, they are only required to take the 4 hour Working at Heights Refresher program.
  • How often do workers need to take Working at Heights training in Ontario?
    Workers in Ontario who have completed the Working at Heights training course must take a refresher course every three years to maintain their certification. The refresher course is also at least 4 hours long and covers any changes to the regulations or best practices related to working at heights.
  • Can workers take the Working at Heights training course online?
    No, the Working at Heights training course in Ontario cannot be completed entirely online. The course requires hands-on training using equipment, and the practical component must be completed in person.
  • What happens if workers do not complete the Working at Heights training course?
    Employers are responsible for ensuring that their workers complete the Working at Heights training course before they work at heights. If workers do not complete the training, they cannot work at heights, and employers may face penalties and fines for failing to comply with the Ministry of Labour regulations. Additionally, workers who do not complete the training put themselves at risk of injury or fatality when working at heights.
  • Does propane training expire?
    Yes, propane records of training (ROT's) are valid for 3 years. Retraining must be completed to renew a ROT.
  • Who requires propane training?
    Anyone using, transporting, filling, storing, or offering propane for transport in the workplace requires approved training throughout Canada. Additional training covering the transportation of dangerous goods may also be applicable.
  • How to get record of training on propane?
    Contact FSN at or 905-649-7670 to book an on-site approved program.
  • Are propane construction heaters safe indoors?
    Propane construction heaters must never be operated in enclosed areas without proper ventilation. Without following the manufacturer's fresh air inlet requirements, carbon monoxide could be produced causing workers to experience flu-like symptoms, unconsciousness and death. The amount of fresh air ventilation needed can be found on the construction heater's rating plate. If you experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside to fresh air immediately and seek medical attention.
  • Where can I find a listing of TSSA's Records of Training (ROT's)?
    All ROT’s & licences required by TSSA in Ontario are set out under the TSSA Act in Regulation 215/01, Fuel Industry Certificates.
  • How long are Ontario propane Records of Training valid for?
    All propane Records of Training are valid for 3 years. Reg 215/01 Sec. 54
  • What are Measurement Canada's legal requirements for filling propane cylinders?
    Please click the following link: Measurement Canada Bulletin C-03 rev.4
  • Do I need a Record of Training for 'Propane Cylinder Exchange?'
    The requirement for a Record of Training by the Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) was suspended in April of 2001 as it was determined that the Department of Labour’s B335-04 standard met the intent of the requirements by TSSA. Click on the following link to view the letter. TSSA Bulletin PR01/1 Rev.1
  • How old do I need to be to dispense propane?
    Some provinces state how old you must be to dispense propane. Others don’t. New Brunswick requires a person to be 18 years old, Nova Scotia requires one to be 16 years old. In other provinces, the Canadian Propane Association recommends that you are 16 years old.
  • What training do I need to fill propane cylinders?
    If filling propane cylinders with a capacity than 46L (40lb) or less, you only need to take the Filling Propane Cylinders course. If filling cylinders greater than this, you need to take the TDG Supplement for Filling over 40lb Cylinders.
  • Where do I obtain a copy of the Application For Registration To Requalify Cylinders By the External Visual Inspection” form?
    This form is available on the Transport Canada website:
  • I understand the requirements have changed so that propane refuelers no longer have to ask for proof of a 5 year inspection before filling a propane tank that is used specifically for RV appliances. Is this true?
    Yes this is correct. It was changed by TSSA in May 2018. The following link to Advisory FS-236-18 outlines the requirements for refueling propane vehicles in Ontario.
  • I am told that before a cylinder is filled the sleeve around it must be removed. Is this true?
    In Ontario, TSSA added a clause (6.4.4) to the B149.2-15 as part of the code adoption that says “If a cylinder has a sleeve, it shall be removed to facilitate the visual inspection prior to filling the cylinder.”
  • Are we able to transfer propane from a rail tank car to a bulk truck if it is on federal land?
    No. The Federal Liquidifed Petroleum Gases Bulk Storage Regulation C.R.C., c. 1152, in section 59 states “ The direct transfer of liquefied petroleum gas between tank trucks and tank cars on carrier’s right-of-way is prohibited”.
  • I understand that you can now fill or re-qualify DOT propane cylinders in Canada. Is that true?
    Yes. As of July 2017, Transport Canada, as part of their International Harmonization initiative, now allows DOT cylinders to be filled or re-qualified in Canada. The change is outlined the Canadian Propane Association’s Bulletin 39-2017 which says: Pressure receptacles (cylinders, tubes and spheres) that meet the U.S. DOT specifications are allowed to be filled with gases such as propane and used in Canada regardless of the date of manufacture. Prior to this amendment, cylinders manufactured after 1992 could only be filled and used in Canada if they conformed to Canadian specifications. The amendment requires that requalification, repair, rebuilding or treatment of Canadian or U.S. specification receptacles be conducted in accordance with Canadian technical standards when done in Canada, with U.S. requirements when done in the U.S. and with either U.S. or Canadian requirements when done outside of Canada or the U.S. The receptacle must be marked in accordance with the standards or requirements used.
  • I want to setup a new Instructor through FSN, what do I do?"
    Contact us at to request an application. Following this, you can expect to recieve detailed documents and instructions on this process.
  • I was set up to deliver PTI training programs. Can I still do this?
    Of course, FSN does not restrict Instructors from purchasing PTI training materials.
  • I like using videos in my training, can I get new ones?"
    Yes, please contact us with your request and we can work together to create videos based on your needs.
  • How do I submit a completed training session?
    You have options! 1) Email your completed Sign-in Sheet to mail your Answer Sheets with a copy of your Sign-in Sheet mail to: FSN Training & Development Inc. 12 Forestgreen Drive Uxbridge, ON L9P 0B8 OR 2) Attach your digital Sign-in Sheet and scanned one-page Answer Sheets and email them to:
  • I have another question, what can I do?"
    Contact us and we are happy to answer any further questions you may have. You may contact us here: 905-649-7670
  • Do workers need to be trained in WHMIS every year?
    Whenever an employee is exposed to Hazardous Materials in the Workplace they need to be trained. If new materials are added, updated information must be supplied about the material. The Occupational Health & Safety Act states in Section 42(3) that “An employer shall review, in consultation with the committee or health & safety representative, if any, for the workplace, the training and instruction provided to a worker and the worker’s familiarity therewith at least annually.” Section 42(4) states “The review described in subsection (3) shall be held more frequently than annually if, a) the employer, on the advice of the committee or health & safety representative, if any, for the workplace, determines that such review is necessary; or there is a change in circumstances that may affect the health and safety of a worker”. Click to see it in the Act.
  • What does WHMIS stand for?
    WHMIS stands for Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System and is aligned with the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). This globally agreed upon system classifies hazardous products and lays out a standard format for labels and safety data sheets (SDS's) in the workplace. Employers in Canada are responsible for ensuring that their employees are trained in WHMIS to meet occupational health and safety requirements.
  • Duties of Employers (Part III, Section 25)"
  • Duties of Supervisors (Part III, Section 27)"
  • Duties of Workers (Part III, Section 28)"
  • Offences and Penalties (Part IX)
bottom of page